By Gratitude Girl Vanessa
I was the featured speaker for a Kiwanis group a few weeks ago and was delighted with one element of their weekly program. They let members announce their “Reasons to Be Happy” in exchange for a dollar donation to their club operating fund. What a cool idea! Just another way to focus on the things we are grateful about right now in our lives.
So, I decided to play with it. I made up a sheet with the headline “Reasons to Be Happy” and a bunch of lines. (You can download the pdf at the end of this post.) Every week, I keep a running list of things, people, animals and occurrences that make me feel happy. With each item, I donate a virtual $1 to myself and at the end of the week, I “spend” that money on something fun. Something I want to have or want to do, but may not have the “real money” in my budget right now to buy.
The first week, I “bought” a ticket to go see Zakir Hussain & Masters of Percussion at the Rialto Theatre. And the second week I “bought” tickets to go to a Martinis and Matisse exhibit. I had enough virtual money to take along several friends!
Some of my reasons to be happy the past few weeks:
– Got all my tax info to the accountant and expect a refund
– Laughing with Ben
– Sunshine, daffodils and redbuds
– Cool shadows on the wall
– Walking at an area park and watching the sun sparkle on the water (So, you can see sunshine is a huge happy boost for me!)
– A purring cat on my lap and another by my side
– Project finished, invoiced and paid in the same day
– Lunch with a friend
– Designed logo that my client “loved, loved, loved!”
– Unexpected tip in my folder at the spa from my reflexology client last week
– Great meeting with potential client (and thankful to have more than one of those in the last few weeks.)
– Gong bath with Ben playing the Sub-Atomic Chau Gong. (Similar to this one.)
– Signed on new design client and got deposit check
These are only a few of my happy moments over the last few weeks… I’ve listed more than 50 each week. What are your reasons to be happy today?
Download the Reasons to Be Happy tracking sheet and play along with me this week. I’m grateful for all of you!